Hawkes Bay to Whakatane run

Events include those run by the Club and those run by others which are of interest to Club Members (e.g. track days). Events may be posted or run by any financial club member but an Area Coordinator or Committee may step in. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership

Moderators: Moderators, Area Coordinators

Forum rules
Events may be posted and run by any financial club member but are subject to moderation by an Area Coordinator or Committee. Non-members are welcome to attend events but if you do enjoy them, think about joining the club to help support it and keep things going. http://mr2.org.nz/membership
mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Charlie

Re: Hawkes Bay to Whakatane run

Post by mickeyduck »

It's a long weekend right? So I thought we'd be rocking over to Hastings on the Saturday, cruising around the cape on the Sunday and rocking off home on the Monday?

Sorry my bad for misunderstanding.

Or is the Friday a public holiday? Now that would really catch me out!

Putting in for annual leave on the Friday will be an issue for some I'd imagine. Especially if the boss has had people take annual leave during the lockdown. Add in the angle that a lot of people are fighting to stay employed right now...

Will be interesting to see how many from outside the area can make it. Not too late to change the plan if you think it might help the numbers. Entirely up to you of course.

It'll be an epic run though no matter which day it takes place, that's for sure.
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

ClanFever
Executive Officer - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Wellington
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Olaf

Post by ClanFever »

I think part of it is allowing some to still have Monday at home, as unfortunately not all of us can give the whole weekend for the event - most from the Lower North are able to come up after they finish work on the Friday, however those from further afield would need to take the Friday off, possibly no different to those from the Lower North needing to take an extra day off somewhere to make it to a further afield event. Keith did discuss with us who are most likely to come (Lower North peeps) and the way it's been organised this time works most for us! We don't want to exclude and we'd love those from further North (or even South Island??) to come! It's just you can't always get an event to be perfect. I'm still keen for the drives we'll be getting. We're also going to see about lining up and meeting the 86 club in Taupo on the Sunday, as they'll be hanging around too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ex-President & Wellington Area Coordinator & Lower North MR2 Leader
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Crawls
Stomping Ground: Hawkes Bay
First name: Keith

Post by Crawls »

I hope that starting our run on the Saturday doesn't discourage club members, I just want it to be accessible to all. I would love for there to be MR2s from everywhere. I understand it may be a stretch for some members, but as Olaf said, we can use Monday for the further abroad to travel home. If anyone needs more help, please PM me.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
Membership Officer & Hawkes Bay Area Coordinator
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)
https://www.instagram.com/keith_crawley

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Ok, I want to know everyones thoughts on lunch for this event.

Do we stop in gisborne for some fast-food (Imagine the line-up of MR2s at Maccas haha) or do we have a BBQ at the beach? Or is there other options people may like?

I am trying to sort out times etc. but I am stuck with regards to lunch.

Ideas??
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

ClanFever

Post by ClanFever »

We may not have the luxury of time to do a BBQ, so perhaps a whatever from the main straight in Gisborne will be a goer
Current: 1992 Toyota MR2 G-Limited with Gen 4 3S-GTE + CT20B (APEXED), 2005 Toyota IST, 2008 Toyota Vanguard - 2GR!
Past: 1990 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, "Semi Parts Car" 1991 Toyota MR2 G-Limited, '91 G-Limited, '89 G-Limited, '91 NZ New MR2, '91 G-Limited, '91 GT (Parts Car), '99 Altezza 3SGE, '98 Altezza 1GFE, '88 Corolla, '96 Curren, '94 Ceres Corolla, '94 Levin, '90 Hiace Super Custom 4x4, '91 Mirage, '93 MX-6 J-Spec, '91 Familia, '91 Galant, '90 Navara, '96 Commodore, '94 Pajero, '89 Lancer, '93 Pajero, '92 Pajero, '89 Mirage, '92 Terrano, '87 Familia, '03 Colt, '91 Pajero, '91 Pajero, '97 Carib, '96 Carina, '02 Turbo Forester

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Olaf, that's what I am trying to figure out. It maybe an MR2 drive thru yet.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

Hastings to Gisborne takes approx 3&1/2 hours, leave at 8:30am and arrive in gizy around lunch. And gizy to whakatane is approx 5&1/2 hours ish. So we may be able to sneak in a 30min lunch in Gisborne. And save the BBQ & beers for dinner.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

With regards to a bbq dinner, I work for a small goods manufacturer so sausages and patties are my specialty. So what would people like on the bbq and I will sort something out. My boss has already approved me having stock for a bbq.

So let me know what ya want or whether I just get a mixed batch of everything.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Auckland
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

Venison sausages or lamb chops would be my pick. :wink:

Do you make 'em outta emu or roo or anything odd-ball like that? Would be an experience...

How about a Kiwi burger? :lol:
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

mickeyduck wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:23 pm
Do you make 'em outta emu or roo or anything odd-ball like that? Would be an experience...
I tell ya what Charlie, I will ask the boss, as we have about 200kg of Roo. So I should be able too
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

ClanFever

Post by ClanFever »

I think if you just bring a big mix that would be awesome, go your boss! Let us know what the company is as we may give them a go if we can find them in the Super!! I can bring a chilly bin to help carry them

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

I work for beard brothers small goods, available at most new worlds and pak'n saves.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

WairoaboyNZ
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Bay Of Plenty
First name: Anthony

Post by WairoaboyNZ »

Crawls wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:41 pm
With regards to a bbq dinner, I work for a small goods manufacturer so sausages and patties are my specialty. So what would people like on the bbq and I will sort something out. My boss has already approved me having stock for a bbq.

So let me know what ya want or whether I just get a mixed batch of everything.
Just a thought, maybe the Toyota Dealer in Gizzy could put a public event on with press or Car journalist's on notice?

Crawls

Post by Crawls »

WairoaboyNZ wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 pm
Just a thought, maybe the Toyota Dealer in Gizzy could put a public event on with press or Car journalist's on notice?

Well now, that would be an interesting idea. I don't know if we could arrange something like that. It could happen if we have the numbers on the run. But given we will be on a tight timeframe it would be difficult. Hypothetically if it happened, we would have to leave Hastings even earlier to ensure we had enough time for press, etc. And we also have to leave gizzy early enough to get to whakatane at a decent time.

Saying that though, feel free to talk to Gisborne Toyota about it, ya never know.
Keith "Crawls" Crawley
90 SW20 n/a (Repairing)
18 Fortuner (Current)
92 SW20 (Current)

rocco26
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: brian

Post by rocco26 »

Hi, we have booked Friday night in Gisborne and will meet you enroute . we have booked the same motel in Whakatane for Saturday.
Looking forward to it.
Cheers