SO863

Want a thread dedicated to your car?
Got a seriously pimped-out ride? Building an extreme performance MR2? Post here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This section of the forum is a great resource if you're looking for ideas, and it's a cool way of obtaining technical information that may otherwise not have been posted. (Members can use the Search functionality at top right of the forum to speed up finding things) Please respect others' contributions and don't diss anyone - keep comments helpful, factual, positive and polite. One thread per vehicle or owner please - don't start lots of threads about just one car. And if you need assistance with your car and want to host a spanner day, please use the appropriate section of the forum: http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=35 Thank you.
Jeff
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Auckland
Prime Mover: AW11
First name: Jeff

SO863

Post by Jeff »

Hi Folks,

Looks like a nice place to post details of my toy for your entertainment.
I had been rallying an AW11 for 10 years or so before destroying it in the Possum Bourne memorial rally 3 years ago. I am just getting to the end of rebuilding it and thought I would put up some details.

I stripped the car completely and welded some of the seams, fabricated turreted Strut tops and fitted a roll cage.
I have fitted a blacktop beams engine from altezza, machined by Lynn Rodgers, which is making 192bhp at the wheels with heaps of torque everywhere.
Motec M4 computer, Motec individual throttle bodies, standard Altezza exhaust manifold, Caldina Beams sump & bits for the angled mounting, SW20 Alternator Bracket Aluminium Oil Cooler in the side air intake and Accusump Oil accumulator.
Factory SW20 Turbo close ratio gearbox with a lower 5th gear, TRD plate LSD, small oil cooler on the firewall. SW20 Turbo axles with AW11 SC outer CV's.
Suspension is based on AW11SC bits with long Bilstein struts from Suspension Tech, adjustable platforms, bearing top mounts in turrets and long progressive 2 1/2" coils. Car sits around 2" higher than standard to get some suspension travel for the gravel.
I'm using a standard master cylinder without the booster, I've changed the pedal ratio to 6:1 and have identical Willwood 4 pot calipers front and rear with AW11SC front rotors on both ends. I'm using two adjustable bias valves in the rear line to control the brake bias and have a big bad hydralic handbrake for the tight stuff. 2 1/4 turn lock to lock steering and the long suspension travel have really tamed the handling. I have rewired the car from scratch putting in the minimum systems to get it up to WOF standard but keeping everything as simple as possible. Countless other little tweaks to make it stronger, faster or easier to work on.

Many thanks to Lloyd Ives of IT Enterprises (027 422 2416) for the cage and sorting out the suspension and to Gary Trayes for helping me bolt it together. I took it out to a Hillclimb in December and I absolutely love it, can't wait to get a few miles done so I can remember how to drive and start to push it.

I am a member of Hibiscus Coast Motorsport Club and the car will be at most of our events (probably not the motorkhanas as it's too hard to see out the back of). Feel free to come have a look and talk to me at any of these events, better still bring your ride and join in.
Jeff Torkington
AW11 Dopamine Dispenser

Redline
Guest of the Club.
Prime Mover: SW20
First name: Melvin S

Re: SO863

Post by Redline »

PHOTOS PLEASE!

flying_wedge
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Christchurch
First name: Mark

Post by flying_wedge »

Redline wrote:PHOTOS PLEASE!
+10

t-top2
Guest of the Club.
Stomping Ground: Otago
First name: Simon

Post by t-top2 »

Redline wrote:
PHOTOS PLEASE!

+10

+++Drool, go on give us something to envy
86 SC t-top man (project red)
87 SC t-top man

mr2 Tubby
Guest of the Club.
First name: Shane

Post by mr2 Tubby »

+20
196.2kW ATW at 16.6psi
CT26 hybrid TO4E-46 trim compressor
Linky to build/dyno

Jeff
Guest of the Club.

Post by Jeff »

Here are a couple of pictures from the build showing engine installation and the mounts for the sump guard, it's not quite so clean now. I'll post some action shots when I get some.
Attachments
EngineCradleSumpGuardMount.jpg
EngineandIntake.jpg
Jeff Torkington
AW11 Dopamine Dispenser

Jeff
Guest of the Club.

Post by Jeff »

SO863 in action at HCMC Autocross 13/2/11
Attachments
P1050502Small.jpg
P1050502Small.jpg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
Jeff Torkington
AW11 Dopamine Dispenser

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: More than one MR2
First name: Rodney

Post by Speedhog »

So...
Who would like to see this car as it is now??

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Speedhog wrote:So...
Who would like to see this car as it is now??
YES PUHLEASE :shock:
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

So after a catastrophic failure in the last BEAMS 3S, the decision on a new power plant was rushed forward.
3S Beams Failure Exhaust port
3S Beams Failure Exhaust port
The Two poster hoist was installed pretty quickly for the new motor to be grafted in place.
IMG_20170409_154939.jpg
Dummied up while making engine mount(s)
Any guesses on the powerplant?
Any guesses on the powerplant?
After a Bit of measuring and eyecrometre alignments it was decided that the Standard motor mount on the drivers side was needed.
IMG_20170420_215251.jpg
Now the fun job of making the exhaust pipes equal length run through a resonator and muffler.

Statek
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Prime Mover: Looking for an MR2
First name: Kris

Post by Statek »

Is that... 3.5 litres of fury getting ready to be unleashed on a gravel road near you!? :twisted:
1986 Toyota MR2 AW11 20v ST - SOLD

JasonFriday13
Club Member - MR2OCNZ
Stomping Ground: Taranaki
First name: Jason

Post by JasonFriday13 »

^^ Yep. Plug wires and oil cap location gave it away. Nice.
Jason Ross, current cars:
Project: 1990 SW20 GT, 1992+ brake swap, 1992+ subframe swap, 1996 Celica turbo engine swap, 1996 MR2 LSD gearbox swap, Caldina Turbo coil-on-plug ignition, Link G4 Storm, 161kw @ 10psi.
Daily: 2004 Toyota Vitz RS, 1.5L, 5sp
Tow rig: 2009 Camry, 2.4L, auto
Scrapped: 1989 SW20 GT, 1992 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car, donor, 1997 Toyota Tercel 3dr hatch, front crash, 1990 SW20, G-Limited, ex EssDub car, roll crashed, donor
Sold: 1987 AW11 Supercharged, 1991 SW20 G-Limited, ex EssDub car

mickeyduck
Life Member - MR2OCNZ
First name: Charlie

Post by mickeyduck »

You better keep us all up to date with progress Rodney, so we can rock along for a gander when she hits the road. :idea:

Gonna be an interesting build too...
#8^) Charlie the certified Westie
Retired - President 2012 - 2018
Retired - Committee Member 2009 - 2018
Retired - Auckland Area Coordinator 2009 - 2018
Retired - Webmaster, Forum Host & Admin 2010 - 2018 - Now it's mknz

Financial Club Member since 2004 and thanks to *84vvt and co-conspirators, Life Member since April 2017 8)
100+ MR2OCNZ runs and counting... When going hard, good rubber's your best protection against unwanted accidents. Buy good tyres!
When you're nearing the end of the drag-strip and you have no 'chute, you may as well keep your foot to the floor... Live life. There ain't no second pass. :twisted:

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

I'll keep the (re)built progress updated. 8)
Target is August for throwing some gravel around, but may end up being a little longer. :cry:

Yes, it is 3456cc of fury, aim is a respectable 350hp~.

Speedhog
Club Member - MR2OCNZ

Post by Speedhog »

So August is here, and the target isn't quite true anymore.
Lots of jobs still to be done.
Current Job is the Motor wiring, and putting a wasted spark set up on.
We have started on the exhaust but stalled when the car went off to the panelbeaters for a touch up on the rear end and clean up a touch of Gravel rash.
At the same time, a purchase was made ex-europe, sometime between The America's Cup and Goodwood. :shock: Current Plan says Not for this car tho :wink:
Engine has been rebuilt with Kelford Cams, having had a play with a cam grind or two. ;)
Then sent the short block to Glendene engine re-conditioners, so they could hollow the forged pistons to suit (and not get any valve knock at top RPM with VVTi still active)
Still playing around with oil cooling ideas..
Still using the same gearbox as the 3S Beams motor, which just had a refresh.

Next target is 5th November for HCMC's round of the Interclub Hillclimb (H.C.M.C)